Teeth staining and discoloration are something that everyone struggles with at some point. The foods we eat, our age, and many other factors explain why our teeth might be changing color. While store-bought whitening products can help, they can also remove the enamel on your teeth, resulting in permanent damage. Try out these other tips to keep your teeth pearly white without risking the health of your teeth.
What causes staining?
Tooth discoloration or staining can happen for various reasons. Check out some of the things that affect tooth color below:
- Food/drinks such as coffee, tea, wine, soda, and different fruits and vegetables
- Treatment for diseases such as chemotherapy or radiation
- Poor dental hygiene
How can you prevent staining?
To keep your teeth from yellowing, you can take many preventative measures, such as:
- Stay away from foods high in sugar
- Drink sugary beverages through a straw to prevent them from touching your teeth as much as possible
- Brush your teeth 2-3 times a day, or after every time you eat/drink
- Floss everyday
- Quit smoking or chewing tobacco
- Schedule regular dental cleanings twice a year
- Ask your dentist about veneers or bonding, two types of treatment that can help you achieve your teeth goals
Firefly Family Dentistry is located in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, and wants to make sure you keep your smile healthy and white! Schedule your regular dental cleaning by calling 414-258-8190 or ask for a consultation to learn more about our whitening services.